Monday, October 8, 2007

My Blogging Dilemma


One week has passed since I started blogging, and up to know, I am still struggling with this silly idea of mine of writing!! Because of my limited computer knowledge, I am still at lost with the many computer jargons. I am still not sure where to set up my site. I am still considering the pros and cons of the different domains I tried. Let me give you of an overview of the three sites I sampled.

I initially put up my blog site at Google.com. The site gives you a lot of options to customize your page. You can even add music to your page!! Cool!! You can put lots of HTMLs if you like. And all of these add-ons are for free! The only problem I had was that my friends found it difficult to post comments because the site does not allow anonymous comments. Readers should log in with a username and password to be able to leave comments. This system is an annoyance especially if the reader does not have a google account. I myself, would no bother to create a new Google account just for me to be able to comment on an article.

And because of the Google hassles I encountered, I thought of putting up my blog in Friendster. Most of my friends have friendster accounts, and so it will be easy for them to post comments if they want to. It is also very accessible to everybody, and my friends are notified automatically by email when updates are made in the blog. The drawback here is that Friendster does not allow a lot of options to customize your page. If you want to make your page more artistic, you will need to pay a certain amount using your credit card. Whoah! I do not have intentions of doing that!

The last domain I tried was Wordpress.com. A friend of mine suggested this site because she was using this for her blog. I found her page interesting because the site provides a lot of choices for customization for free. The site also allows readers to post a comment even if they do not have Wordpress accounts. But unless I inform everybody about my site on this domain, nobody will ever read my posts. So why bother to write? Hehe…

I guess, the best choice for now is Friendster.com since the site allows more people to access my page. The purpose of blogging is to be able to connect to more people and Google and Wordpress has these limitations in accessibility and user-friendliness.

Check out the sites yourself by comparing the three blog spots I put up using the three domains I used:

http://digital-catharsis.blogspot.com/
http://digitalcatharsis.wordpress.com/
http://nelsonbautista.blogs.friendster.com/

Why do I want a wider audience for my blogs? It is not because I have something important to say. I think it is simply because I wanted to be heard…

No comments: